What are pre-existing conditions, and how are they determined?
A pre-existing condition is any illness, condition, or injury for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to your policy’s effective date. A pre-existing condition can also be an injury or recurrence of an injury that occurred prior to your pet’s coverage effective date.
How we gather your pet’s medical history
Examples of pre-existing conditions
- Your dog is constantly licking its paws pre-policy, enrolls, and is later diagnosed with allergies. Are the allergies eligible for coverage?
- No, the allergies are considered pre-existing and are not covered. The incessant licking pre-policy is a clinical symptom that your dog has allergies.
- You enroll your cat who develops a sarcoma mass on their back leg right after sign up, but before your policy’s effective date. Is the sarcoma eligible for coverage?
- No, the sarcoma is considered pre-existing and is not covered. That mass, and any future sarcomas are considered pre-existing because it occurred before the policy went into effect.
- Pre policy, your dog sprained their knee. After you enroll, they developed hip dysplasia. Is the hip dysplasia eligible for coverage?
- Yes, the hip dysplasia is covered. Our claims specialists could find a medical disconnect between the knee injury and the hip dysplasia, so it would not be considered pre-existing.
Should I still sign up for Trupanion if my pet has pre-existing conditions?
Every pet's situation is unique, so we recommend reaching out to our customer care team to chat about how pre-existing conditions could affect your coverage.
How can I avoid running into issues with pre-existing conditions?
Best friends deserve the best care
From lovable mutts to specific breeds, we help all kinds of dogs and cats get the veterinary treatment they need. We’re here for your pet for life.
Here for you, so you can be there for them
When your pet needs unexpected veterinary care, worrying about finances shouldn’t get in the way. Trupanion has your back, so you can focus on what matters most.
Because they're more than just pets
As a responsible breeder, you know your animals deserve the best veterinary care. Trupanion helps make that possible.
Because they're more than a pet
Your pet is your family, and now you can protect them like it. Whether they bark or meow, Trupanion is designed for the life of your furry friend.